[Geany-Users] Future of the IRC ...

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Jun 15 12:07:34 UTC 2021

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 at 21:18, Peter Scholtens via Users
<users at lists.geany.org> wrote:

> As an FOSS project, one further requirement I would suggest is to *keep* using an open source and federated protocol. Obliging infrequent users to sign on to a developer site seems like a too high threshold to me.

"To start chatting on Matrix you’ll need to sign up for a user
account." -- Matrix intro

So its the same thing, just a different place, users will still have
to make yet another account.

Or go to chat.mozilla.org and you get "sign in".

> The Matrix protocol is practically proven by the reference implementation of Element, which can run as App and as webclient. Other Matrix clients exist: https://matrix.org/clients
> Organisations like Gnome and Mozilla have switched to Matrix, to give some examples.

The Matrix website seems to me to be totally navel gazing, all wrapped
up in its own world, protocols and so on, and not at all interested in
the users.  AFAICT from a simple peruse its all in one conversation.
I presume it isn't, but its not clear in the intro documentation how
to set up a <insert Matrix's term for a Geany related group> and how
to get people to find it.

Organisations like Mozilla and Gnome seem to be running their own
servers, but as Enrico said, that will only happen for Geany if
someone does it _and maintains it_ ... and not just for his suggested
three weeks ;-)

And I still do not believe chat is a good support tool anyway, IRC or
Matrix or whatever.  For things like release discussions, yeah its
fine, all the participants are planned to be available at once, but
its poor for support, questions go unanswered because nobody knows, or
possibly even worse well meaning people give bad advice, until someone
who knows happens along, by which time the OP has left.