[Geany-Users] Future of the IRC ...

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Jun 15 21:28:08 UTC 2021

On 15.06.21 14:07, Lex Trotman wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 at 21:18, Peter Scholtens via Users
> <users at lists.geany.org> wrote:
>>
>> As an FOSS project, one further requirement I would suggest is to *keep* using an open source and federated protocol. Obliging infrequent users to sign on to a developer site seems like a too high threshold to me.
>
> "To start chatting on Matrix you’ll need to sign up for a user
> account." -- Matrix intro
>
> So its the same thing, just a different place, users will still have
> to make yet another account.
>
> [...]
>
> Organisations like Mozilla and Gnome seem to be running their own
> servers, but as Enrico said, that will only happen for Geany if
> someone does it _and maintains it_ ... and not just for his suggested
> three weeks ;-)

Exactly.
If anyone wants to setup a <insert Matrix's term for a Geany related
group> and/or maybe even a bridge to IRC, feel free. I didn't mean to
stop anyone from doing so. Maybe it will be used like IRC before or even
more. Or not.
My only wish is that it should last a bit and, in my experience, hosting
once setup works pretty good and on its own once you setup it carefully.
But at some point something just breaks (for various reasons) and it
needs work. So it's always rather a marathon than a sprint.

If anyone wants to build something like this or so, feel free to create
PR for the website to mention it.

> And I still do not believe chat is a good support tool anyway, IRC or
> Matrix or whatever.  For things like release discussions, yeah its
> fine, all the participants are planned to be available at once, but
> its poor for support, questions go unanswered because nobody knows, or
> possibly even worse well meaning people give bad advice, until someone
> who knows happens along, by which time the OP has left.

These are all arguments for Github discussions (or something like this).
I agree IRC or chat in general are not that suited for general support,
at least not in the current setup of the Geany project with Lex being
our only support expert.