[Geany-Users] JavaScript and class syntax

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Fri Oct 23 10:21:24 UTC 2020

Hi,

Le 23/10/2020 à 08:46, Claude Paroz a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently using Geany 1.33 (from Debian stable) and I'm very annoyed
> by the Symbols pane not showing properly class hierarchy when using the
> JavaScript class syntax, like:
>
> class MyClass {
>     constructor(param) {}
>     otherFunc() {...}
> }
>
> I'm only getting a single "class" symbol (for all classes) and cannot
> browse anything inside it.
>
> Is this something fixed in recent versions of Geany (or any underlying
> library)?

It's improved since 1.35.  JavaScript symbols tab will however never be
perfect given how dynamic the language is, and how a lot of libraries
are written in a way *not* to have symbols, but a single nameless entry
point.  But it you write symbols-friendly JS, it should work a whole lot
better in 1.35 onward than it did in 1.33.

> Is it possible to do anything to improve my current situation
> while staying with the Debian stable version or do I have to compile
> some sources?

You'll have to upgrade to at least 1.35; and unfortunately I don't think
it's in the backports, so yes, you'll likely have to build it yourself.
 We've got instructions a bit everywhere, so you should easily get started :

- https://www.geany.org/download/git/
- https://wiki.geany.org/howtos/testing_git
- …

Regards,