[Geany-Users] vertical line spacing, line_height, filetypes.common

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Jun 1 03:29:02 UTC 2020

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 at 13:02, John Gabriele <jgabriele at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> > > Noticed the same problem (uncomment commentary lines) in
> > >
> > > filetype_extensions.conf
> > > geany.css
> > > snippets.conf
> > >
> > > Oh boy, this looks like a pervasive issue.
> > >
> > > If I go to "Tools --> Configuration Files --> Filetype Configuration", and choose anything in there, the file that comes up seems to have this same problem: lots of lines that are just prose/commentary, but they're not commented. (Not sure what this means, but in the window title bar they say paths like ~/.config/geany/filedefs/filetypes.whatev, but in that directory I only see filetypes.common and filetypes.README.
> >
> > Tools->Configuration Files-> etc toggles comments when it opens the
> > file for the first time, which should add #~ to every line.  Have you
> > changed the toggle comment setting for .conf filetypes?
>
> In "Preferences --> Editor side tab --> Features tab", the "Comment toggle marker" is blank / empty. Maybe at some point I removed the tilde there because I didn't like how it looked... (? can't recall. Ah, I think at one point I put a single space in there).
>
> I wouldn't know how to change the toggle comment setting for a particular filetype --- I only know the prefs setting I just described above.

Ok, the comment marker is a global setting, not per filetype, only the
actual comment is per filetype.

> Ok. Thanks, I put the "~" back into that "comment toggle marker" field.

Yeah, better, it could be anything that is unlikely to occur naturally
if you don't like tilde (but space is not only likely, but as you have
seen, inevitable).

Toggle comment lines have to be marked so when the user selects a
range to toggle comments Geany knows what to do with lines already
commented, clearly they should not be simply uncommented (well you
have seen what happens then) so the user would have to select around
lines that are actual comments, making toggle comments pretty useless
for its intended purpose of commenting slabs of code.

So comments made by toggle comments are specifically marked, and
adding a tilde was chosen so as to be unusual and unlikely to occur
normally (many other characters having been taken by stuff like
doxygen comments).