[Geany-Users] vertical line spacing, line_height, filetypes.common

John Gabriele jgabriele at xxxxx
Mon Jun 1 03:02:10 UTC 2020

> > Noticed the same problem (uncomment commentary lines) in
> >
> > filetype_extensions.conf
> > geany.css
> > snippets.conf
> >
> > Oh boy, this looks like a pervasive issue.
> >
> > If I go to "Tools --> Configuration Files --> Filetype Configuration", and choose anything in there, the file that comes up seems to have this same problem: lots of lines that are just prose/commentary, but they're not commented. (Not sure what this means, but in the window title bar they say paths like ~/.config/geany/filedefs/filetypes.whatev, but in that directory I only see filetypes.common and filetypes.README.
>
> Tools->Configuration Files-> etc toggles comments when it opens the
> file for the first time, which should add #~ to every line.  Have you
> changed the toggle comment setting for .conf filetypes?

In "Preferences --> Editor side tab --> Features tab", the "Comment toggle marker" is blank / empty. Maybe at some point I removed the tilde there because I didn't like how it looked... (? can't recall. Ah, I think at one point I put a single space in there).

I wouldn't know how to change the toggle comment setting for a particular filetype --- I only know the prefs setting I just described above.

Ok. Thanks, I put the "~" back into that "comment toggle marker" field.

> The reason this is done is because the edited file is saved in the
> users config, and overrides the system file.  If all settings were set
> in the user file any fixes in a new version of Geany would be
> overridden by the old user settings.  So they are all commented out
> (using toggle comment) and the user can just toggle comment for the
> section titles and settings that they need to change, leaving the rest
> to be the system values.

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation.

-- John