[Geany-Users] vertical line spacing, line_height, filetypes.common

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Jun 1 02:27:50 UTC 2020

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 at 12:17, John Gabriele <jgabriele at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Sun, May 31, 2020, at 9:58 PM, John Gabriele wrote:

> > > As I noted above, lines starting with # are comments, but in your
> > > filetypes.common all the lines that are actually comments are without
> > > #, so no wonder it confused the keyfile parser and doesn't work.
> > >

> > Wow. That's odd. I don't know why that file contained so many
> > uncommented lines of text. I'm pretty certain it came stock that way
> > with the Debian package.
> >

> Noticed the same problem (uncomment commentary lines) in
>
> filetype_extensions.conf
> geany.css
> snippets.conf
>
> Oh boy, this looks like a pervasive issue.
>
> If I go to "Tools --> Configuration Files --> Filetype Configuration", and choose anything in there, the file that comes up seems to have this same problem: lots of lines that are just prose/commentary, but they're not commented. (Not sure what this means, but in the window title bar they say paths like ~/.config/geany/filedefs/filetypes.whatev, but in that directory I only see filetypes.common and filetypes.README.

Tools->Configuration Files-> etc toggles comments when it opens the
file for the first time, which should add #~ to every line.  Have you
changed the toggle comment setting for .conf filetypes?

The reason this is done is because the edited file is saved in the
users config, and overrides the system file.  If all settings were set
in the user file any fixes in a new version of Geany would be
overridden by the old user settings.  So they are all commented out
(using toggle comment) and the user can just toggle comment for the
section titles and settings that they need to change, leaving the rest
to be the system values.