[Geany-Users] RFC: New Custom Filetypes Repository

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Jan 6 10:23:48 UTC 2016

>> Why not, could be useful to some and have more semantic/visibility than
>> the Wiki.
>>
>> Tho, the Wiki filetypes also often comes with additional details, like
>> the snippet for filetype_extensions.conf, or a (possibly useful) build
>> script for Geany, comments, tips, etc.  Maybe there should be some
>> similar stuff in a repo with them then, maybe even an automated scritp
>> capable of altering filetype_extensions.conf and alike?
>
> Just a thought without huge reflecting: Couldn't this be done by a
> plugin? I mean, a plugin pulling from git repo filetype defintions and
> putting it into .config/geany and e.g. pasting snippets into snippets.conf.

On thinking about it some more, a repository is not very user friendly
for getting just a few files from, and a user would usually only want
those for a single language.  Its either get all by cloning the repo
or a single file at a time from github.

So yeah a plugin that grabs all the files in a directory and applies
the patches locally would be a good thing.

Thomas and Matthew seem to be converging on getting upstream Geanypy
adapted to the new plugin architecture, hopefully it will be added to
Geany-Plugins by 1.27 and then this could be a first use.  Running Git
from Python will be much easier than from C :)