[Geany-Users] tooltip colors, and filetypes?

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Dec 6 23:48:27 UTC 2016

On 7 December 2016 at 09:18, Pance Stojkovski <pance at rogers.com> wrote:

> I just upgraded to Linux Mint 18 (KDE), and am using Geany ver 1.27.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. The tooltip (when I hover on the toolbar buttons) -- is very unreadable
> (white on a light-grey background). Anyone know how to change the colors?

Thats probably the GTK theme, you could try setting it with the .gtkrc
file.  Note that it works out of the box fine on Mint 18 Cinnamon with
with Mint light and dark themes producing tooltips the same as other
apps,( eg the default Mint text edit app) which suggests its a global
theme setting.

Note that Mint do try to make themes for KDE and GTK applications the
same for their themes, but if you use a non-Mint theme that may not be
the case.

> 2. When I go to File - Open, there are about 20 different file types. Since
> I only use about 3 or 4, how do I delete all the others?
> I've tried to delete filetypes from here:
> /usr/share/geany/

`File->Open` shows the open dialog box, did you mean `File->New(with
template)` which opens a list of templates.  The hint is in the menu
name, you need to delete the templates you don't want from
`$(prefix)/share/geany/templates` and `~/.geany/templates`.

> And I've edited this file:
> filetype_extensions.conf
>
> But I still keep getting over 20 different file types? How can I customize
> to just 3 or 4 different filetypes that I use?

Filetypes with config files of the form `filetype.XXX.conf` can be
removed by deleting the file from `$(prefix)/share/geany` or
`$(prefix)/share/geany/filedefs` in newer Geany versions.  But
filetypes with config files of the form `filetypes.XXX` are built-in
and cannot be removed (without C programming and re-compile) and
deleting the filetypes file may have unwanted side effects if you
accidentally open one of those files.