[Geany-Users] 1.25 incorrectly detecting file changes

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Tue Jul 21 21:04:47 UTC 2015

On 15-07-21 11:42 AM, Tim Tisdall wrote:
> I keep getting the "The file 'somefile.txt' on the disk is more recent than
> the current buffer." message after ~30 seconds on each save.
>
> I'm using Ubuntu's network drive system to edit files on a remote system so
> the filenames are "/run/user/1000/gvfs/sftp:host= ...".  This wasn't an
> issue with the 1.24 release and only started happening after upgrading to
> 1.25.
>
> Is this a known issue?

I've never heard of it. One thing you could try is to watch the files
using `inotifywait` (in `inotify-tools` package) like:

     $ inotifywait -m /path/to/a/file/in/question

And see if it reports changes. Another way (since I don't think Geany
uses inotify by default but rather just stat's the file), would be
something like:

     $ watch -n 1 stat -c '%y' /path/to/a/file/in/question

And see if the timestamp changes when you do whatever stuff to the
files. If it does change, it's expected that Geany would prompt you
since the file actually changed (it would be a bug in your filesystem).

Cheers,
Matthew Brush