[Geany-Users] The future of the GeanyPrj plugin

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sat Jan 31 13:36:53 UTC 2015

On 30/01/15 20:49, Lex Trotman wrote:
> On 31 January 2015 at 02:18, Jiří Techet <techet at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> me again :-). With other Geany developers we have been discussing the future
>> of the GeanyPrj plugin. The problem is the original developer behind it has
>> abandoned the project so it is unmaintained now. There are several things we
>> could do:
>>
>> 1. Nothing - i.e. keep it in the plugins repository unmaintained.
>>
>> 2. Somebody volunteers to maintain it (anyone?).
>>
>> 3. The plugin will be removed from the geany-plugins repository.
>>
>> I would like to discuss the option (3) - while I haven't used the plugin
>> myself much, I think the main reason people were using it was you could see
>> multiple projects in the sidebar (and have them indexed). This is however
>> possible with my ProjectOrganizer plugin now (see the announcement) so the
>> question is whether there is any other use for the plugin. Otherwise I
>> believe ProjectOrganizer offers many more features and displays the project
>> files better so at least from my point of view (which may be biased), I
>> think ProjectOrganizer is more or less a superset of GeanyPrj. (One
>> exception is that with ProjectOrganizer you have to create projects
>> explicitly while with GeanyPrj there's just kind of implicit project
>> specification by pointing it to the directory where you keep projects).
>>
>> So my preferred choice is (3) but if someone still finds the plugin useful
>> and uses it, we can keep the plugin in the repository.
>
> The general principle that seems to have been established in the past
> is that plugins should remain until they break, or some major problem
> is found with them and nobody wants to fix it.

True in general, though in this particular case I would vote for
removing geanyprj because
a) as Jiří said, ProjectOrganizer have mostly the same features and more
b) having one less project plugin for Geany would reduce users'
confusion and so also ease support of those

My vote: option 3