[Geany-Users] Find and replace in files

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Aug 3 21:15:01 UTC 2015

On 4 August 2015 at 07:03, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 15-08-03 01:42 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
>>
>> On 4 August 2015 at 03:46, Pedro Albuquerque <palbuquerque73 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm messing around with colours in an icon folder with lots of
>>> sub-folders
>>> containing svg files.
>>>
>>> I can find in files a specific colour, or any string, in all folders and
>>> sub-folders.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to find and replace that string in all folders and
>>> sub-folders?
>>

>> Not from Geany.
>>

>>> If not, this would be a great feature to add.
>>

>> I think it would be a very dangerous feature to add, making unseen
>> changes to files that are not open.  There is not even a feature to
>> make the changes to all the files that are open.
>>

> The regular Search & Replace dialog lets you perform replacements in the
> "Session" (all open files).

Oh yeah, forgot about session, shows how often I use it :)

> I don't find this super dangerous as you can go
> to each file and undo the replacement changes, even if tedious. A global
> "undo all replacements" functionality would be very handy.

The danger is that it makes unintended changes that you don't notice,
like setting the missile launch to "on" :)

> IMO another feature that would make search and replace in files possible and
> somewhat safe is if there was a context menu item in the messages tab, where
> Find in Files puts all the matches, which would let you open all files that
> matched in one shot.

Open all files would be fine, That you then do something irresponsible
with them is your problem :)

But "somebody" has to do it.