[Geany-Users] Find and replace in files

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Mon Aug 3 21:03:26 UTC 2015

On 15-08-03 01:42 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> On 4 August 2015 at 03:46, Pedro Albuquerque <palbuquerque73 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm messing around with colours in an icon folder with lots of sub-folders
>> containing svg files.
>>
>> I can find in files a specific colour, or any string, in all folders and
>> sub-folders.
>>
>> Is there a way to find and replace that string in all folders and
>> sub-folders?
>
> Not from Geany.
>

>> If not, this would be a great feature to add.
>
> I think it would be a very dangerous feature to add, making unseen
> changes to files that are not open.  There is not even a feature to
> make the changes to all the files that are open.

The regular Search & Replace dialog lets you perform replacements in the
"Session" (all open files). I don't find this super dangerous as you can
go to each file and undo the replacement changes, even if tedious. A
global "undo all replacements" functionality would be very handy.

IMO another feature that would make search and replace in files possible
and somewhat safe is if there was a context menu item in the messages
tab, where Find in Files puts all the matches, which would let you open
all files that matched in one shot. Then you could just click that to
open all the files and then do a normal Search and Replace in Session
files. I personally would use that quite a bit, as I often go through
the matches in the message dialog and click on each to open the related
files, and then do the replacement on all those files.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush