[Geany-Users] Problem with mouse copy/paste

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu May 8 08:44:44 UTC 2014

On 8 May 2014 18:00, Thomas Martitz <kugel at rockbox.org> wrote:
> Am 08.05.2014 09:53, schrieb Lex Trotman:
>
>>> Ah, it also works in vim (didn't test emacs though).... I'm pretty sure
>>> all
>>> curses-based apps work.
>>
>> Terminal based apps do that because they cannot locate another
>> position whilst keeping the selection, since they only have one
>> cursor.  Graphical UIs have a text cursor and a mouse cursor (pointer)
>> and so can nominate the cursor position without moving the text
>> selection.
>

> I think he was referring to the fact that when you select a text in a
> terminal (regardless of CLI or TUI) without moving the text cursor, and then
> click in the terminal window (this still doesn't move the text cursor but
> clears the selection), then the last-selected text is still pasted. This is
> the case e.g. in the bash prompt of gnome-terminal.

Sorry to be unclear, I was referring to the bit about curses based apps.

Things like gnome-terminal et al are not curses based but since they
have to support curses I would expect that they tend to operate in the
same manner.  But I havn't really thought about the implications of
having to pretend to be a stupid character based display, whilst
actually being a fully graphic app.  I expect it could be confusing :)