[Geany-Users] I want to run a c program on Prisoner's Dilemma in Geany but can't

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Jul 24 06:39:57 UTC 2014

On 24 July 2014 16:08, Rajib Bandopadhyay <bkpsusmitaa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at ...> writes:
> [snipped]
>> Scope requires Geany, glib/gtk+ and vte.
>> Geany requires glib/gtk+ and suggests vte.

These are the libraries required to run, not the tools required to build.

> NOt only these but intltool as well. Installed intltool

This is a build tool.

>> The only inaccuracy in the dependencies that I see is that the
>> "required" glib/gtk+/vte versions are higher than what we really need,
>> and that applies to both Geany and Scope. But Debian includes all
>> "required" package versions, so there's absolutely no problem to
>> install Geany or Scope.
>
> Why glib is required when gcc (various versions) are already installed in
> Knoppix?

Glib has nothing to do with gcc, its is a library underlying GTK.
Glibc is the C runtime library for gcc.

> There are so many installations required! This uses up my bandwidth.
>
> You say Geany requires minimum dependence on the system, but to run the
> source I find I have to install many packages.

As I said building from source requires the tools and development
libraries, not just the runtime requirements.