[Geany-Users] Geany portable and new filetype

Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wwl at xxxxx
Mon Sep 30 17:02:19 UTC 2013

Hallo,

I would like to configure geany portable (PortableApps) to work with
different Assemblers (x86, avr and two different 6502
crossassemblers).
I wanted to create a first filetype '*.s'.
One of the problems I have is that there are 6 locations for the file
'filetype_extensions.conf':

GeanyPortable\App\DefaultData\Settings\filedefs
GeanyPortable\App\DefaultData\Settings\tags
GeanyPortable\App\Geany\data
GeanyPortable\Data\Data\Settings
GeanyPortable\Data\Data\Settings\filedefs
GeanyPortable\Data\Data\Settings\tags

I don't know what they are for.

I have edited the 4. and 5. of them and included a line: S=*.s;

I also have created a file

GeanyPortable\Data\settings\filedefs\filetypes.s

and copyed this to

GeanyPortable\Data\settings\filedefs\filetypes.s.conf

but neither the syntax highlighter nor the build command is
recogniced.

If I try to use the menu to configure the build commands, these
commands get saved in the file

GeanyPortable\Data\settings\filedefs\filetypes.common
not in
filetypes.s.conf

I have tried these try and error game for two hours now. Can anybody
please explain what the six directorys are for and what exactly is to
do to configure geany for a new extension.

Wolfgang