[Geany] setting up 'plaintext' file type

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sat Sep 8 00:27:43 UTC 2012

On 12-09-07 05:13 PM, Matthew Brush wrote:
> On 12-09-07 04:55 PM, Miranda Hawarden-Ogata wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca>
>> wrote:

>>> It could be that the CentOS version is really old and maybe there
>>> used to be
>>> a bug that is since fixed. Or maybe you have plugin on the CentOS box
>>> that's
>>> doing it but it's not installed in the Windows version. You can also
>>> remove
>>> the markers/error indicators using Document menu->Remove Markers and
>>> Remove
>>> Error Indicators, though likely they will come back later from
>>> whatever is
>>> causing the squiggles to show up.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, I don't know.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Matthew Brush
>>
>> Sigh. Yar, old version. Just checked and winxp version is 1.22, centos
>> is 0.20.
>>

> Even if it sounds like a big difference, versions went 0.20, 0.21, 1.22
> so it's not *that* old, but still kind of old :)
>
>> Re the removing error indicators, I tried that as soon as I saw the
>> explanation of what they were, but it didn't work either.
>>

> That makes it sound like a plugin might be putting error indicators,
> since using the menu to remove should always remove the ones Geany puts
> there itself AFAIK.
>
>> I'm using the RPMforge version, the EPEL version is 0.21... I don't
>> suppose anyone happens to know if another repo has a newer version?
>> I'd like to have this be my default nedit replacement, which would
>> mean it gets dumped onto about 20 centos boxes, and I'd really rather
>> not have to do manual installs for it....
>>

> I don't know any, unless you can use Fedora packages or something.
> Compiling from source isn't too painful if you can install GTK+
> development stuff from pre-built packages, though doing it on 20 boxes
> might be tedious. Maybe you can compile on one box and make your own
> package? I have no idea what's involved for CentOS to do this.

Actually, linked from the 3rd party packages page on Geany website is this:

http://www.melvilletheatre.com/articles/el6/index.html

It seems to have latest Geany 1.22 for CentOS, but I've no clue if it's
any good or will post your bank account info on Facebook before deleting
your hard drive (hence being under 3rd party pacakges) :)

Cheers,
Matthew Brush