[Geany] setting up 'plaintext' file type

Miranda Hawarden-Ogata hawarden at xxxxx
Sat Sep 8 00:59:12 UTC 2012

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 12-09-07 05:13 PM, Matthew Brush wrote:
>>
>> On 12-09-07 04:55 PM, Miranda Hawarden-Ogata wrote:

>>> Sigh. Yar, old version. Just checked and winxp version is 1.22, centos
>>> is 0.20.
>>>

>> Even if it sounds like a big difference, versions went 0.20, 0.21, 1.22
>> so it's not *that* old, but still kind of old :)
>>
>>> Re the removing error indicators, I tried that as soon as I saw the
>>> explanation of what they were, but it didn't work either.
>>>

>> That makes it sound like a plugin might be putting error indicators,
>> since using the menu to remove should always remove the ones Geany puts
>> there itself AFAIK.
>>
>>> I'm using the RPMforge version, the EPEL version is 0.21... I don't
>>> suppose anyone happens to know if another repo has a newer version?
>>> I'd like to have this be my default nedit replacement, which would
>>> mean it gets dumped onto about 20 centos boxes, and I'd really rather
>>> not have to do manual installs for it....
>>>

>> I don't know any, unless you can use Fedora packages or something.
>> Compiling from source isn't too painful if you can install GTK+
>> development stuff from pre-built packages, though doing it on 20 boxes
>> might be tedious. Maybe you can compile on one box and make your own
>> package? I have no idea what's involved for CentOS to do this.
>>

> Actually, linked from the 3rd party packages page on Geany website is this:
>
> http://www.melvilletheatre.com/articles/el6/index.html
>
> It seems to have latest Geany 1.22 for CentOS, but I've no clue if it's any
> good or will post your bank account info on Facebook before deleting your
> hard drive (hence being under 3rd party pacakges) :)
>
> Cheers,
> Matthew Brush

Yeah, ~blush~, let's just say that I just figured out I'd downloaded
those third party rpms when I was installing the first time around,
and somehow or another I still managed to install the out-dated 0.20
version. While looking at the third-party rpms, I also realised that
the el5 version is the same as the rpmforge version, only the el6
version is using 1.22.

I have just finished yum-removing the 0.20 version (since yum would
not let me update to 1.22 directly) and then yum-installing the newer
version. I am now looking at my delightfully plain and simple notes
file :D YAY!

Much appreciate the help from you and Lex, you guys got me pointed in
the right direction :D

Thanks!
Miranda