[Geany-Users] Geany Icon

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at herbesfolles.org
Mon Oct 15 13:13:52 UTC 2012

Le 14/10/2012 17:05, John Yeung a écrit :
> My take on this, as a Windows user, is that applications which are not
> part of the operating system ought to default to their own icon.  I
> don't know if this is the Linux sensibility, but at least one
> advantage of doing this would be that Geany defaults to the same thing
> on both Windows and Linux.  Personally, I think third-party apps
> should have their own brand, whose default is chosen by their
> creators.  If their creators would like to blend in with the OS by
> default, then that should be their choice.  If they would like it to
> be the user's responsibility to make the app blend in, then that
> should be fine as well.

Well, using the system's theme icon falls in "blending with the OS", at
least from a "Linux" point of view.  Under GNU/Linux (and generally any
communitarian/open OS) there's no real "correct look";  each
distribution choose its look -- it's their responsibility to make apps
looks like they want if they distribute this app.

With Windows or MacOS, it's more like the OS chooses the look (even
though at least Windows is somewhat themable), and anyway those OS
probably won't ever distribute Geany by themselves;  so in those cases
the app authors may like to provide a different icon to better blend.

Finally, note that unless the user's theme *overrides* our icon, we
always will display our icon.  So this shouldn't change anything on
Windows or MacOS unless the user explicitly wants it (since none of them
have icons for Geany).