[Geany-Users] Geany Icon

John Yeung gallium.arsenide at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 15:28:02 UTC 2012

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 12-10-14 08:05 AM, John Yeung wrote:
>>
>> So my vote is, use Geany's own icon by default.  Linux users who like
>> everything to blend in should know the ways to make it happen for
>> themselves.
>
> So your vote is to keep the setting off by default, so that the default icon
> shipped with Geany is used by default and users can then customize it the
> way they know how (using the standard way)?

I'm afraid I don't understand well enough to say for sure.  What I was
trying to get across was an idea that maybe doesn't apply at all to
Linux, or works very differently than what I had imagined.

Let me back up one second and say that I know what is being discussed
in this thread will not have any noticeable effect for Windows.

I was trying to express an idea that doesn't really take into account
how things are done in Linux.  Maybe my idea meaningless or even
incomprehensible for Linux.

I have to admit I keep forgetting that the different Linux
distributions can be very different.  I keep underestimating the role
played by the distributor.  When you buy a Windows machine, it is
possible for HP or Sony or ASUS or whoever to include some relatively
minor "post-Microsoft" customizations, and to include some
non-Microsoft software.  But it's pretty easy for the Windows end-user
to ignore all that, and I think most of us do.  So my mental model of
third-party app settings is just an interaction between the app
creator and the end-user.

My previous post was coming from that model.  I had the notion that
"out of the box" (which means downloaded from Geany's official site),
Geany's icon should be whichever one the Geany creators chose to
include with Geany, and the end-user should be able to override this.

I don't know if that has any sensible translation to Linux.  I don't
know if the Linux way to think about it is that the distro (or some
piece of software that manages other software or the GUI, yet might
not be part of the OS) can be a proxy for the end-user.  So if the
distro (or managing software) is "opinionated" about how Geany should
look, there's not a good place in my mental model for that.

John