[Geany-Users] Geany Icon

Matthew Brush mbrush at codebrainz.ca
Sun Oct 14 19:51:57 UTC 2012

On 12-10-14 03:45 AM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> On 14 October 2012 21:23, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 12-10-14 03:11 AM, Lex Trotman wrote:
>>
>>> On 14 October 2012 19:50, Thomas Martitz <
>>> thomas.martitz at student.htw-**berlin.de<thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de>>
>>> wrote:

>>> Yes, why do theme developers feel that it is a benefit to users to keep
>>> changing the application icon in each theme.  The icon is intended to
>>> identify the application, changing it removes that identification that the
>>> user is used to between the icon and the application and devalues the
>>> brand
>>> value of the project.  There are many things that can be done but normally
>>> should not be done, and this is one of them.
>>>

>> IMO, it depends. If it's done properly, it can be made to match the other
>> icons in the theme and still maintain the "identity" of the application.
>> For example if all the icons were in a blue square with rounded corners,
>> then it makes sense for Geany's icon to be the yellow lamp with red jewels
>> in a blue square with rounded corners to match the theme. It doesn't make
>> sense to make it an Arabic word that a huge portion of users won't be able
>> to read and otherwise has no "identity" of Geany.
>>

> Yes, you are right it *can*, but in the case of the Faenza icon it hasn't
> been, and there was another one someone had invented for Geany that I
> encountered on my recent perusal of other distros and DEs.
>
>  From your previous:
>
>> The DE/GTK mechanism is not complex: if you don't want to override
> Geany's icon, don't override it with your own icon[1].
>>
>> [1] In your case the choice to override the default icon was made by your
> distro, but it's still explicitly overriding the default.
>
> Thats the point it is not my icon choice, I am stuck with the whole theme
> or nothing unless I start playing with the complexities.

The "complexities" are some imagined thing you cooked up in your head
instead of learning how icon theming works in Linux. It's far more
complex for a user to have to find a hidden application-specific setting
to make it well behaved, than it is for you to tweak or change your
current icon theme.

> As I said before, I don't care which way the default is set, to use the
> theme or to use Geanys icon, so long as there is a simple way of "fixing"
> the Geany icon.  Lets see what others say.

It should default to FALSE/OFF at least. I also think it's a bad reason
for a setting because it's not at all Geany's problem to solve, but
whatever, we already have 42M other hidden settings most people won't
use, one more won't hurt much.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush