[Geany-Users] Geany Icon

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de
Sun Oct 14 10:09:37 UTC 2012

Am 14.10.2012 12:00, schrieb Matthew Brush:
> On 12-10-14 01:50 AM, Thomas Martitz wrote:
>> Am 14.10.2012 09:05, schrieb Lex Trotman:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Geany has in the past specified a fixed image, (the jewel encrusted
>>> teapot), as the icon to use for its top level window.
>>>
>>> There has been a request for Geany to follow the icon set by the
>>> theme.  This has been committed.
>>>

>> I'm very curious that application icons be themed at all. IMO the icon
>> belongs to the application and is part of its identity, and not some
>> theme. This is also why Linux Mint makes me mad because of its icons for
>> various applications including Geany.
>>
>> (I always switch the icon theme to a less intrusive one [GNOME-Wise
>> which resembles the Mint-y look a bit] on a fresh Mint installation).
>>

> At least on Linux, this ability to customize things seems to be
> prized/praised by many. So much so that "they" got together and
> created a standard for toolkits and DEs to follow to make it simple
> for the user to do, to globally change the icon theme instead of
> digging through app-specific preferences, if provided, to change only
> the window title bar icon while other icons provided by the same app
> follow the theme properly.

I also praise this ability and I love to change icon themes. But
application icons are an exception. They are, like the name, chosen by
the authors and identify the application (thus part of its identity).
Clearly I don't talk about icons for folders or eject-usbstick buttons
which are completely fine.

Yes, I'm aware that some icon themes even change app-specific icons,
that that goes too far IMO. Others share this view, see [1]. Mozilla's
trademark is another example.

Best regards.

[1]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/882336