[Geany-Users] Geany Icon

Matthew Brush mbrush at codebrainz.ca
Sun Oct 14 10:19:06 UTC 2012

On 12-10-14 03:09 AM, Thomas Martitz wrote:
> Am 14.10.2012 12:00, schrieb Matthew Brush:

>>> I'm very curious that application icons be themed at all. IMO the icon
>>> belongs to the application and is part of its identity, and not some
>>> theme. This is also why Linux Mint makes me mad because of its icons for
>>> various applications including Geany.
>>>
>>> (I always switch the icon theme to a less intrusive one [GNOME-Wise
>>> which resembles the Mint-y look a bit] on a fresh Mint installation).
>>>

>> At least on Linux, this ability to customize things seems to be
>> prized/praised by many. So much so that "they" got together and
>> created a standard for toolkits and DEs to follow to make it simple
>> for the user to do, to globally change the icon theme instead of
>> digging through app-specific preferences, if provided, to change only
>> the window title bar icon while other icons provided by the same app
>> follow the theme properly.
>
> I also praise this ability and I love to change icon themes. But
> application icons are an exception. They are, like the name, chosen by
> the authors and identify the application (thus part of its identity).
> Clearly I don't talk about icons for folders or eject-usbstick buttons
> which are completely fine.

What about the Terminal application as an example. I like that icon to
follow my theme. Should not the Calculator application use your icon
theme's icon for the calculator app? Sometimes I even use the theme's
"text editor" icon for Geany since it's my main text editor.

> Yes, I'm aware that some icon themes even change app-specific icons,
> that that goes too far IMO. Others share this view, see [1]. Mozilla's
> trademark is another example.

I still think as a user I should be able make my Firefox icon use the
Web Browser icon from my theme. If Mozilla has some trademarks, that's
fine, their app should either be shipped with their default icon or
should be renamed and rebranded, but to disallow (by default) the user
to choose to change it on their own computer, goes to far, IMO.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush