[Geany] mac osx -- control-v paste not working

Sean Felipe Wolfe ether.joe at xxxxx
Sat Jul 14 00:13:08 UTC 2012

Thanks for the info Matthew ... good to know.

Are the necessary changes something that a relatively new c programmer
could get a hold on and contribute to? I am going to be learning
objective-c in the forseeable future so I'm inclined to try and grok
more about C and Geany would be a fun project to do that on... if it's
possible to help Geany be better on osx that would be totally cool.
Maybe I will try and set up the dev environment up on my osx machine
and see how I do.

ps that footnote was epic ... I nearly clicked on the [1], haha.

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 12-07-13 04:18 PM, Sean Felipe Wolfe wrote:
>>
>> Hey everybody,
>>
>> I started playing around with geany for osx via macports, thanks to
>> this article:
>> http://wiki.geany.org/howtos/osx/running
>>
>> everything was going great until I realized that I couldn't paste
>> anything. :P I'm able to copy and paste to an external text file. But
>> copying + pasting internally doesn't paste anything. I've tried both
>> keyboard shortcut and pull-down menu option.
>>
>> This is 0.21 (newest version on macports I believe) with OSX Lion
>> (which sucks) 10.7.4 .
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated :)  Thanks!
>>

> Hi,
>
> Geany sucks on OSX[1].
>
> I've done some work locally on improving it but it requires a lot of changes
> to Geany's code, build system and also some extra GTK+-related dependencies.
> I'm not confident enough that after spending so much time on making it
> usable that all of the (many) changes will be accepted into the core of
> Geany, so I've kind of put it on hold for now.
>
> IIRC, I got to the point of having application menu integration, keybindings
> working, theme/font integration, plugins working, VTE loading (but not
> working), and a Geany.app bundle for easy installing and dock icon. The main
> thing that made me give up was that there's a crasher bug deep inside the
> Cairo/Quartz code used by Scintilla and I'm not inclined to fix it.
>
> SublimeText2 is pretty nice and not super expensive (has a free demo) if
> you're looking for a fairly sane alternative to Geany.
>
> Cheers,
> Matthew Brush
>
> [1] To be fair to Geany, GTK+ also sucks on OSX which accounts for most of
> Geany's suckiness there.

A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write,
if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself.
- Abraham Maslow