[Geany] Ideas for reducing duplicate bug reports

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Fri Feb 3 10:32:40 UTC 2012

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 19:54:26 +1100
Ross McKay <rosko at zeta.org.au> wrote:

> Matthew Brush wrote:
>
> >I feel split on the issue TBH. At least with something like Github,
> >it might not be "yet another thing to sign up for" like all the
> >separate Bugzilla/Trac installations. There's some chance that the
> >user will have a Github account, though it's probably not *that*
> >likely, it's still useful for other things (same as SF.net account).
> >
> >I can understand wanting to make it easy to report bugs, but at the
> >same time I can understand the argument that requiring registration
> >will likely lead to better bug reports, ex. from people who are
> >helping with testing. Many of the current "Nobody"/Anonymous bug
> >reports are quite vague, quickly written, and even sometimes having
> >a strange "attitude" in them. What's more since it's so easy, the
> >reporters are probably more likely to quickly fill in the form and
> >submit it before even bothering to search for duplicates or to know
> >the bug reporting procedure outlined on the website (at least that's
> >my theory).
> >
> >My personal opinion is that it's better to get less really good
> >reports from testers in the community than to get many
> >vague/duplicate bug reports from random anonymous people who are
> >just pissed off because a bug is annoying them.
> >[...]
>
> +1 to everything above. I reckon that many of those anonymous bug
> reports are next to worthless for their minimal detail and that means
> they end up reducing the signal to noise ratio. If someone isn't
> already a member of either SF or GH and won't join up in order to
> submit a bug report, what are the chances that the bug report is both
> sufficiently detailed and not a duplicate?

I can tell only for myself: I found a couple of bugs on wordpress, and
some misbehaviors und firefox and a couple others more. As the I'm
forced to register a new account on their plattforms the mood to report
went against 0 so a couple of them I just fixed locally and didn't
report upstream. Shame on me. But I don't want to do a 10min register
marathon just for reporting one line is suboptimal. I'm fine with a
bigger number of noise, if there are a bunch of maybe new reports which
we wouldn't get else wise.

Cheers,
Frank
--