[Geany] Ideas for reducing duplicate bug reports

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Feb 3 11:57:42 UTC 2012

[...]
>> +1 to everything above. I reckon that many of those anonymous bug
>> reports are next to worthless for their minimal detail and that means
>> they end up reducing the signal to noise ratio. If someone isn't
>> already a member of either SF or GH and won't join up in order to
>> submit a bug report, what are the chances that the bug report is both
>> sufficiently detailed and not a duplicate?
>
> I can tell only for myself: I found a couple of bugs on wordpress, and
> some misbehaviors und firefox and a couple others more. As the I'm
> forced to register a new account on their plattforms the mood to report
> went against 0 so a couple of them I just fixed locally and didn't
> report upstream. Shame on me. But I don't want to do a 10min register
> marathon just for reporting one line is suboptimal. I'm fine with a
> bigger number of noise, if there are a bunch of maybe new reports which
> we wouldn't get else wise.

I agree with Frank, registration tends to stop casual reporters, who
are not involved with the particular program but have found a problem.

Certainly I will not bother to report a bug in software I am just
using, but not involved with, if I have to jump through hoops.  And
there is no way I remember what I used as a password last time I
registered to report a bug for [insert project here] so to report
again I have to go through the whole forgoten password fiasco.  Bah,
too much trouble.

Admittedly casual reports are varying quality, from ones where you
want to shout "RTFM", to completely professional.  Just because the
reporter didn't register does not imply any lack of intelligence or
knowledge.

Perhaps we just need to be a little more proactive in closing them,
after all they don't actually go away and it shows an actuve bug
processing culture.