[Geany] Ideas for reducing duplicate bug reports

Ross McKay rosko at xxxxx
Fri Feb 3 08:54:26 UTC 2012

Matthew Brush wrote:

>I feel split on the issue TBH. At least with something like Github, it
>might not be "yet another thing to sign up for" like all the separate
>Bugzilla/Trac installations. There's some chance that the user will have
>a Github account, though it's probably not *that* likely, it's still
>useful for other things (same as SF.net account).
>
>I can understand wanting to make it easy to report bugs, but at the same
>time I can understand the argument that requiring registration will
>likely lead to better bug reports, ex. from people who are helping with
>testing. Many of the current "Nobody"/Anonymous bug reports are quite
>vague, quickly written, and even sometimes having a strange "attitude"
>in them. What's more since it's so easy, the reporters are probably more
>likely to quickly fill in the form and submit it before even bothering
>to search for duplicates or to know the bug reporting procedure outlined
>on the website (at least that's my theory).
>
>My personal opinion is that it's better to get less really good reports
>from testers in the community than to get many vague/duplicate bug
>reports from random anonymous people who are just pissed off because a
>bug is annoying them.
>[...]

+1 to everything above. I reckon that many of those anonymous bug
reports are next to worthless for their minimal detail and that means
they end up reducing the signal to noise ratio. If someone isn't already
a member of either SF or GH and won't join up in order to submit a bug
report, what are the chances that the bug report is both sufficiently
detailed and not a duplicate?
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Millions o women bring forth in pain