[Geany] Request for feedback on my contributions to newsletter issue 1

Russell Dickenson russelldickenson at xxxxx
Wed Mar 23 11:07:45 UTC 2011

On 23 March 2011 11:59, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 March 2011 18:50, Thomas Martitz
> <thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:

>>> OK, I understand the "self-congratulating" comment. I'll check the
>>> rest of what you said against what I wrote. I can't quite remember
>>> exactly.
>>
>> I don't see a problem with this.
>
> Being self congratulatory is a bit of a minefield, the tolerance level
> before its seen as negative varies from culture to culture and person
> to person.
>
> In a volunteer contributed newsletter I don't think we can expect
> contributors to take all this into account, and we don't have a
> specific editorial board to review it, so I think they really can only
> write from their own point of view.
>
> Cheers
> Lex

Colomban and others,

I have read and re-read the sections which I contributed to the
newsletter and finally I think I understand the comment about it being
a little too "self-congratulatory". What I was trying to emphasise
with the part which starts "What's great..." was the usefulness of the
feature. When I mentioned the aim of Geany I was (and this was and is
only my opinion) expressing my view that Geany's primary aim is to
help you in your development yet not be too invasive.

Again, thanks for the very useful feedback I have received so far. Now
I need to get on and write some more for issue 2. :)

--
Russell Dickenson