[Geany] Per-workspace instance of Geany

Krzysztof Żelechowski giecrilj at xxxxx
Sat Jan 22 22:11:39 UTC 2011

Dnia sobota, 22 stycznia 2011 o 22:49:47 Julien Nicoulaud napisał(a):
> Hi all,
> I'm using GNOME with several workspaces, and there's a behaviour I find
> quite annoying: if you have an instance of Geany running in a workspace and
> you open a file in another workspace, it just opens the file in the already
> running instance and switches you back to the workspace. I know this is more
> a usability issue at the desktop environment level than Geany in particular,
> since it is the same for other programs such as web browsers, but may be
> Geany could address it ?
>
> Anyway, I wrote a little wrapper script that detects if there's no Geany
> window in the current workspace, in which case it forces creating one:
> https://github.com/nicoulaj/dotfiles/blob/master/bin/geany
> It was only tested on GNOME but should work as well on other desktop
> environments.

There are four ways to go here.

  1. Leave things as it is because Geany is an IDE, so if a file needs to be sent to Geany, it is probably good to show other developer tools as well.
  2. Move Geany to the active desktop.
  3. Share Geany with the active desktop.
  4. Start a separate Geany environment.

I do not see any obvious preference to any of these options.

Chris