[Geany] Per-workspace instance of Geany

Julien Nicoulaud julien.nicoulaud at xxxxx
Sat Jan 22 21:49:47 UTC 2011

Hi all,
I'm using GNOME with several workspaces, and there's a behaviour I find
quite annoying: if you have an instance of Geany running in a workspace and
you open a file in another workspace, it just opens the file in the already
running instance and switches you back to the workspace. I know this is more
a usability issue at the desktop environment level than Geany in particular,
since it is the same for other programs such as web browsers, but may be
Geany could address it ?

Anyway, I wrote a little wrapper script that detects if there's no Geany
window in the current workspace, in which case it forces creating one:
https://github.com/nicoulaj/dotfiles/blob/master/bin/geany
It was only tested on GNOME but should work as well on other desktop
environments.

-- Julien