[Geany] Geany Themes packages

Dominic Hopf dmaphy at xxxxx
Sun Dec 18 13:26:23 UTC 2011

Am Samstag, den 17.12.2011, 21:27 -0800 schrieb Matthew Brush:
> Here's a reasonable list of packages that could exist:
>
> geany                <- core application
> geany-common         <- ?
> geany-dev            <- geany.pc and header files
> geany-extras         <- geany themes, bindings, tags
> geany-vala           <- vala binding
> geany-python         <- python binding
> geany-themes         <- all theme files from geany-themes
> geany-tags           <- all geany tags (slooooooow!)
> geany-tags-c         <- C tags only
> geany-tags-python    <- Python tags only, and so on...
> ...other tags
> geany-plugins        <- all plugins combined
> geany-plugins-common <- ?
> geany-plugin-addons  <- Addon plugin only, and so on...
> ...other plugins

I'd basically say we shouldn't even care about the packages of specific
GNU/Linux distributions upstream and leave the packaging up to the
particular package maintainer. They have to find the right way for their
users to provide as much flexibility as possible for the user when
installing stuff and keeping package maintenance efforts feasible for
them.

While we're at it and I'm maintaining some stuff on Fedora I can tell
you my personal opinion: I'd put everything I find as a separate
repository upstream [1] in a separate package. In case some packages are
too big or it would make sense, I'd maybe split a package into
sub-packages.

Note the technical difference between separate packages and sub-packages
as it is the case for example for the geany-plugins-* stuff in Fedora:
geany-plugins is another package than geany, but geany-plugins-$foo is a
sub-package of geany-plugins. There is no installable so-called
meta-package called "geany-plugins" which would install every plugin,
users would just type `yum install geany-plugins-*` to install
everything.

The situation for Tag files taken from [2] is a bit special, because
they currently are just additional sources for the Geany package in
Fedora and thus installed when you do a `yum install geany`. Users did
not claim yet about a bloated package, they rather provided feedback
that they found this a cool feature. I don't see a reason (yet) why I
should put every tag file in a separate sub-package. I can imagine a
separate package for geany-tags, though. This however will be not easy
to change, since removing the tags files from the Geany package (they
were there since Geany is in Fedora) would significantly change the
behavior of Geany in Fedora and thus maybe only can be done between
different Fedora releases.

To get back to the topic: A geany-themes package would be easily
possible, not sure yet about the way to package - separate package or
sub-package of geany, but this mainly is a question of package
maintenance in Fedora and the difference will not be even obvious for
the user. I tend to put it in a newly created separate package since the
themes are (or will/would be) provided in a separate repository upstream
and extending the Geany package itself in that amount would need a
re-review for the Geany package in Fedora.

Did I miss something for the Python and Vala stuff (are they there yet?)
or was this just example names? :)

Regards,
Dominic

[1] https://github.com/geany
[2] http://download.geany.org/contrib/tags/

--
Dominic Hopf
http://dominichopf.de/

Key Fingerprint: A7DF C4FC 07AE 4DDC 5CA0  BD93 AAB0 6019 CA7D 868D