[Geany] Geany Themes packages

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sun Dec 18 05:27:05 UTC 2011

On 12/17/2011 03:25 PM, Colomban Wendling wrote:
> Le 17/12/2011 23:13, Matthew Brush a écrit :
>> On 12/17/2011 08:32 AM, Frank Lanitz wrote:

>>> I disagree, even they are cool. We should keep in mind to do not bloat
>>> Geany core with extra stuff. I guess we did a good step with moving a
>>> lot of tag files out (btw here a package would also be cool) and don't
>>> want to go step back
>>>

>> Bloat, hehehe.  It's ~36kb for all 17 themes combined :)
>
> I'm with Frank here, it's not a sizing question.  Themes are good, but
> there is not point in providing 65536 themes, and if we provide all the
> geany-themes ones, why not all the user's created ones?  We already
> provides 2 themes, and we (should) link somewhere users can find some
> others on the website, but we shouldn't distribute all of them.
>
> No, I definitely think these should go in some "extra" package or
> something, why not with some tags files or other selected extras.

Here's a reasonable list of packages that could exist:

geany                <- core application
geany-common         <- ?
geany-dev            <- geany.pc and header files
geany-extras         <- geany themes, bindings, tags
geany-vala           <- vala binding
geany-python         <- python binding
geany-themes         <- all theme files from geany-themes
geany-tags           <- all geany tags (slooooooow!)
geany-tags-c         <- C tags only
geany-tags-python    <- Python tags only, and so on...
...other tags
geany-plugins        <- all plugins combined
geany-plugins-common <- ?
geany-plugin-addons  <- Addon plugin only, and so on...
...other plugins

Of course we need to get the distro package maintainers on side with this :)

Cheers,
Matthew Brush