[Geany] Geany Themes packages

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sun Dec 18 14:46:02 UTC 2011

Le 18/12/2011 14:26, Dominic Hopf a écrit :
> [...]
>> geany-vala           <- vala binding
>> geany-python         <- python binding
>> geany-themes         <- all theme files from geany-themes
>> geany-tags           <- all geany tags (slooooooow!)
>> geany-tags-c         <- C tags only
>> geany-tags-python    <- Python tags only, and so on...
>> ...other tags
>> geany-plugins        <- all plugins combined
>> geany-plugins-common <- ?
>> geany-plugin-addons  <- Addon plugin only, and so on...
>> ...other plugins
>
> I'd basically say we shouldn't even care about the packages of specific
> GNU/Linux distributions upstream and leave the packaging up to the
> particular package maintainer. They have to find the right way for their
> users to provide as much flexibility as possible for the user when
> installing stuff and keeping package maintenance efforts feasible for
> them.
>
> While we're at it and I'm maintaining some stuff on Fedora I can tell
> you my personal opinion: I'd put everything I find as a separate
> repository upstream [1] in a separate package. In case some packages are
> too big or it would make sense, I'd maybe split a package into
> sub-packages.
>
> Note the technical difference between separate packages and sub-packages
> as it is the case for example for the geany-plugins-* stuff in Fedora:
> geany-plugins is another package than geany, but geany-plugins-$foo is a
> sub-package of geany-plugins. There is no installable so-called
> meta-package called "geany-plugins" which would install every plugin,
> users would just type `yum install geany-plugins-*` to install
> everything.
>
> The situation for Tag files taken from [2] is a bit special, because
> they currently are just additional sources for the Geany package in
> Fedora and thus installed when you do a `yum install geany`. Users did
> not claim yet about a bloated package, they rather provided feedback
> that they found this a cool feature. I don't see a reason (yet) why I
> should put every tag file in a separate sub-package. I can imagine a
> separate package for geany-tags, though. This however will be not easy
> to change, since removing the tags files from the Geany package (they
> were there since Geany is in Fedora) would significantly change the
> behavior of Geany in Fedora and thus maybe only can be done between
> different Fedora releases.
>
> To get back to the topic: A geany-themes package would be easily
> possible, not sure yet about the way to package - separate package or
> sub-package of geany, but this mainly is a question of package
> maintenance in Fedora and the difference will not be even obvious for
> the user. I tend to put it in a newly created separate package since the
> themes are (or will/would be) provided in a separate repository upstream
> and extending the Geany package itself in that amount would need a
> re-review for the Geany package in Fedora.

+1, just provide a geany-theme tarball release and leave the packaging
choice to the packagers, we don't have to care.

> Did I miss something for the Python and Vala stuff (are they there yet?)
> or was this just example names? :)

There is an experimental Vala biding [1] and I guess geany-python
referred to Matthew's python plugin [2].

Regards,
Colomban

[1] https://gitorious.org/geany-vala-binding
[2] https://github.com/codebrainz/geanypy