[Geany] [WinXP32] - Python - "Compilation failed" with matplotlib

Rock Star rockstar1707 at xxxxx
Sat Apr 30 10:19:32 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have a question regarding the compilation or execution of python
source files on Windows. I use Geany mostly for python scripting,
drawing graphs etc (no GUI programming). However, since I work on
WinXP 32bit with Python 2.6.2 and Geany 0.20, I found out that I get
the desired behavior, i.e. printing console output to "Compiler"
window at the bottom, if I set the COMPILE command to

python -u "%f"

Setting the same command to EXECUTE command opens a command prompt
button, which I don't like.

However, this works for most of things but not doesn't work good when
using matplotlib library. In this case for some reason the matplotlib
window (if moved, resized) automatically closes after some time, i.e.
after 10, 20 seconds or so, and "Compilation failed" is written in the
output. Hence, this happens while python is running in the background.

The test code can look as simple as this:

from pylab import *
figure()
plot((1,2,3,4,5),(2,4,6,8,10))
show()

This code works without a problem in Scite or if use EXECUTE command
(but as already mentioned in this case command prompt opens and all
the output goes there).

Does anybody know what is the problem here or if anyone has the same problems.

Otherwise I really like Geany for python scripting because it's fast,
not cumbersome and it has basically everything I need for my work.

Best regards,
Rok