[Geany] [WinXP32] - Python - "Compilation failed" with matplotlib

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Apr 30 11:33:41 UTC 2011

On 30 April 2011 20:19, Rock Star <rockstar1707 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question regarding the compilation or execution of python
> source files on Windows. I use Geany mostly for python scripting,
> drawing graphs etc (no GUI programming). However, since I work on
> WinXP 32bit with Python 2.6.2 and Geany 0.20, I found out that I get
> the desired behavior, i.e. printing console output to "Compiler"
> window at the bottom, if I set the COMPILE command to
>
> python -u "%f"
>
> Setting the same command to EXECUTE command opens a command prompt
> button, which I don't like.

Yes, adding an option to execute commands without a command prompt is
on the list of things to do, but its far from the top.

> However, this works for most of things but not doesn't work good when
> using matplotlib library. In this case for some reason the matplotlib
> window (if moved, resized) automatically closes after some time, i.e.
> after 10, 20 seconds or so, and "Compilation failed" is written in the
> output. Hence, this happens while python is running in the background.

Roughly speaking the Geany compile/make commands execute in a way the
approximates Scite mode 0, ie no windows please we're compilers.  This
might be your problem, but I am not a Windows expert (or a Scite
user).

Execute commands run via cmd.exe and approximate scite mode 1 (but
with the cmd window).