[Geany] Installing Geany-Plugins from Source in Debian

Danny K cinolt at xxxxx
Sun Nov 14 17:19:14 UTC 2010

> Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 17:44:31 +0200
> From: enrico.troeger at uvena.de
> To: geany at uvena.de
> Subject: Re: [Geany] Installing Geany-Plugins from Source in Debian
>
>  On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 15:57:47 +0200, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> > On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 02:32:54 -0500, Danny K wrote:
> >> Hi, I'm running Debian 5.0.6 "lenny". I downloaded the sources of
> >> Geany 0.19.1 and Geany-Plugins 0.19. I extracted Geany and ran
> >> ./configure, make, make install, and it worked. But I want to use
> >> the
> >> Geanygdb plugin. So after I extracted Geany-Plugins and ran
> >> ./configure, it said that it could not find Geany. So I uninstalled
> >> Geany and this time ran ./configure --prefix=/usr, make, make
> >> install.
> >> I went back to Geany-Plugins and ran ./configure, make, make install
> >
> > In your first attempt, you installed Geany into /usr/local.
> > When you configure the plugins, the build systems searches a
> > so called pkgconfig file which was installed in
> > /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig. But the default check for
> > this pkgconfig file is mostly done in /usr.
> > To get it working you had to set the following
> > environment variable like this:
> > PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
> > then the plugins' configure would have looked in
> > /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig as well and found Geany.
> >
> > After you installed Geany in the prefix /usr, Geany's
> > pkgconfig file was installed in the default pkgconfig
> > search path (/usr/lib/pkgconfig) and so it worked.
> >

> >> with apparently no errors. So I then run Geany again, but when I go
> >> Tools->Plugin Manager, it reports that no plugins are available.
> >
> > Hmm, hard to say so far.
> > Probably there are linker problems or differences in the ABI.
> > After you opened the plugin manager, could you check
> > Help->Debug Messages? This should show some interesting messages.
> > Simply copy them and append it to your reply, so we could check
> > what's wrong.
>
>  I think I know what's wrong:
>  you ran './configure' for the plugins which configured and
>  installed them into /usr/local (default prefix) but
>  Geany is configured and installed in /usr, so Geany
>  will look for plugins in /usr/lib/geany. Your plugins
>  however are installed in /usr/local/lib/geany.
>
>  So, to fix it, uninstall the plugins from /usr/local
>  and build them again with
>  ./configure --prefix=/usr && make && make install.
>  Then the plugins are installed in the same prefix as Geany
>  and then Geany should find your plugins.
>

>  Regards,
>  Enrico

Thanks for your replies. With this and other annoying bugs I decided to reinstall the OS. It seems that after starting from scratch and removing everything, installing Geany and Geany-Plugins with ./configure make make install for some reason worked smoothly, and the plugins work. So I'm not sure what the cause of the problem was. It possibly has to do with the fact that I installed an old version of Geany (I think it was 0.14) because it was in the official Debian archives, even though I did uninstall the old version prior to attempting to install Geany 0.19.1.