[Geany] Installing Geany-Plugins from Source in Debian

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Nov 14 15:44:31 UTC 2010

 On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 15:57:47 +0200, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 02:32:54 -0500, Danny K wrote:
>> Hi, I'm running Debian 5.0.6 "lenny". I downloaded the sources of
>> Geany 0.19.1 and Geany-Plugins 0.19. I extracted Geany and ran
>> ./configure, make, make install, and it worked. But I want to use
>> the
>> Geanygdb plugin. So after I extracted Geany-Plugins and ran
>> ./configure, it said that it could not find Geany. So I uninstalled
>> Geany and this time ran ./configure --prefix=/usr, make, make
>> install.
>> I went back to Geany-Plugins and ran ./configure, make, make install
>
> In your first attempt, you installed Geany into /usr/local.
> When you configure the plugins, the build systems searches a
> so called pkgconfig file which was installed in
> /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig. But the default check for
> this pkgconfig file is mostly done in /usr.
> To get it working you had to set the following
> environment variable like this:
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
> then the plugins' configure would have looked in
> /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig as well and found Geany.
>
> After you installed Geany in the prefix /usr, Geany's
> pkgconfig file was installed in the default pkgconfig
> search path (/usr/lib/pkgconfig) and so it worked.
>

>> with apparently no errors. So I then run Geany again, but when I go
>> Tools->Plugin Manager, it reports that no plugins are available.
>
> Hmm, hard to say so far.
> Probably there are linker problems or differences in the ABI.
> After you opened the plugin manager, could you check
> Help->Debug Messages? This should show some interesting messages.
> Simply copy them and append it to your reply, so we could check
> what's wrong.

 I think I know what's wrong:
 you ran './configure' for the plugins which configured and
 installed them into /usr/local (default prefix) but
 Geany is configured and installed in /usr, so Geany
 will look for plugins in /usr/lib/geany. Your plugins
 however are installed in /usr/local/lib/geany.

 So, to fix it, uninstall the plugins from /usr/local
 and build them again with
 ./configure --prefix=/usr && make && make install.
 Then the plugins are installed in the same prefix as Geany
 and then Geany should find your plugins.