[Geany] Windows Installer permissions

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue May 25 20:59:09 UTC 2010

On Sun, 23 May 2010 22:08:18 -0500, Oliver wrote:

Hi,

> Highest seems to be good to me.  If a user is admin (which most users
> are by default on windows [silly indeed 8-) but anyway]) then they
> should install to Program Files\ and if not, they will install to C:\
> users.  I think that people smart enough to run with a user level
> account and who wish to have it in program files will know to run as
> an admin.  Those with user accounts will still be able to install,
> and those with admin accounts (as a large portion of windows users
> are) will install to Program Files.

Yeah, seems quite reasonable.

> I took the time to check that if I compiled it as highest, it would
> work as expected.  When I got it to compile, I ran without using "run
> as admin".  Windows 7 UAC prompted me to continue.  When I did, it
> ran as expected and wanted to install to the proper "Program Files"
> directory. I don't have a "user" account on this machine and am
> without a virtual machine (for right now, my lan file server should
> be coming online in a few days and i can check then) so if anyone
> with access to a vm can check, I'd appreciate it.

I didn't manage it yet to test it but if anyone else wants to, I
quickly built the recent snapshots with the "highest" setting (on
WinXP), available on

http://uvena.de/tmp/geany-0.19svn_r4951_nogtk_setup_highest.exe
http://uvena.de/tmp/geany-0.19svn_r4951_setup_highest.exe