[Geany] two ideas: filebrowser and scribble

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri May 14 08:16:54 UTC 2010

On 14 May 2010 16:41, startx <startx at plentyfact.org> wrote:

> hello.
>
> i "discovered" geany only a few month ago and i really love it.
>
> 1) however,  was wondering about the filebrowser:
>
> would it be hard to extend the filebrowser functionality with
> standard operations like "delete, copy, cut, paste, rename" of files?
> is this planned for the near future?
>
> despite my long "love and hate" relationship with eclipse, i always
> liked the fact that i did not have to leave the IDE to do such
> operations there.

I don't agree. This doesn't seem to me to be IDE specific functionality and
I think adding it would be contrary to the light weight nature of Geany.

This is especially so when file managers are already available in all
operating systems.  Just have an iconified file manager running at all times
so you only have to de-iconify it, that way you don't clutter your favourite
IDE.

> 2) it would be great to have a scratchbook (scribble) "per project",
> rather then just one file. i often make use text files just to make
> notes, but having one only for all my projects (i have a lot of them
> now) is a bit confusing.

I agree with this, I make a text file in each project for such miscellaneous
stuff (always the same name "NOTES" so I don't get confused).

Should be possible to save and restore scribble in project files overriding
the non-project value in the same way that any other setting does.
Now just someone needs to do it :-)