[Geany] Feature request: Better suggestions

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Jun 29 21:24:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 22:33:46 +0200, Filip wrote:

>> we are talking about the standard Python functions, not those you
>> have defined in your open files, right?
>
>Those defined in the open files. You must read those files and create
>tags already, so it should be pretty simple to change them into the
>whole signature (possibly as a pref). This would be cool, because if
>you use good arg naming, you know, what you have to pass. And that
>_really_ improves productivity.

Er, for open files Geany should detect the argument lists of functions
and also show them when calltips are requested (by typing a '(' after
the function name or by pressing Ctrl-Shift-Space).
At least with the SVN version this should work, not sure about the
latest release.

>> If the above is true, have a look at scripts/create_py_tags.py in the
>> Geany source directory. This script is used to generate the python
>> tags file of the standard functions. And this surely can be improved
>> heavily and since you know Python, it maybe isn't too hard.
>> Any improvements are welcome.
>
>I'll take a look, but since I know neither gtk, nor scintilla, I doubt
>if this is very fruitful.

See Jonas' mail.