[Geany] Geany in another language

Hoeltgen Laurent hoeltgman at xxxxx
Tue Jun 9 20:29:24 UTC 2009

2009/6/9 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>

> On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 20:37:45 +0200, Laurent wrote:

> >> ?

> >I did that. "sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales" outputs a list with locales
> >that it updated. The last line it writes gives:
> >
> >lb_LU.UTF-8... cannot open locale definition file `lb_LU': No such file
> >or directory
> >failed
> >
> >I wonder what files it's looking for and also where it is looking for
> >them.
> >
> >I have an empty folder in /usr/lib/locale with the name "lb_LU.utf8"
> >and an empty file called "lb" in /var/lib/locales/supported.d/
> >
> >I doubt that these things should actually be empty.
>
> Yes, however no idea really. I guess the key is to find the correct
> language code, I still doubt lb_LU is correct but I couldn't find any
> reference on the web, seems it isn't used widely at all. E.g. on my
> system, I don't have a single lb_* translation installed (except this
> from Geany).

According to

http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html#Language-Codes
http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html#Country-Codes

the codes should be correct. I'm not sure either whether it must be lb or
lb_LU.
Honestly speaking I'm not surprised that you don't have a single lb_* file
on you system.
To my knowledge the only software beside Geany which has a luxembourgish
translation is Notepad++,
Limewire and KDE has a few parts which are translated, though not even
completely.

> >> A more general, less Debian-specific approach is to
> >> edit /etc/locale.gen and add
> >> lb_LU.utf-8
> >> or whatever is the correct language code for Luxembourg.
> >> After that, run 'locale-gen' to generate the newly added locale.
> >> Then LANG=lb_LU.utf-8 geany
> >> should work.
> >>
> >> However, completely unrelated to Geany.
> >>

> >Couldn't find /etc/locale.gen on my Ubuntu. I guess this is one of the
> >points where Ubuntu differs from Debian.
>
> Weird. Ok, then maybe better someone with Ubuntu experience should
> answer and point you to the right way.

I'll try the Ubuntu Forums, maybe somebody there knows an answer.

Regards,
Laurent.