[Geany] Geany in another language

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Jun 9 19:44:44 UTC 2009

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 20:37:45 +0200, Laurent wrote:

>Enrico Tröger schrieb:
>> On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 19:40:29 +0200, Frank wrote:

>>> Can you please post what locale is giving you back on commandline?
>>
>> ?
>>

>>> In most cases it is because lb is not configured on your system. On
>>> Debian this can be done with
>>>
>>> sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
>>>
>>> If I understand $search_enging correct you will need to add lb into
>>> file /var/lib/locales/supported.d/local and run sudo
>>> dpkg-reconfigure locales after.
>
>I did that. "sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales" outputs a list with locales
>that it updated. The last line it writes gives:
>
>lb_LU.UTF-8... cannot open locale definition file `lb_LU': No such file
>or directory
>failed
>
>I wonder what files it's looking for and also where it is looking for
>them.
>
>I have an empty folder in /usr/lib/locale with the name "lb_LU.utf8"
>and an empty file called "lb" in /var/lib/locales/supported.d/
>
>I doubt that these things should actually be empty.

Yes, however no idea really. I guess the key is to find the correct
language code, I still doubt lb_LU is correct but I couldn't find any
reference on the web, seems it isn't used widely at all. E.g. on my
system, I don't have a single lb_* translation installed (except this
from Geany).

>> A more general, less Debian-specific approach is to
>> edit /etc/locale.gen and add
>> lb_LU.utf-8
>> or whatever is the correct language code for Luxembourg.
>> After that, run 'locale-gen' to generate the newly added locale.
>> Then LANG=lb_LU.utf-8 geany
>> should work.
>>
>> However, completely unrelated to Geany.
>>

>Couldn't find /etc/locale.gen on my Ubuntu. I guess this is one of the
>points where Ubuntu differs from Debian.

Weird. Ok, then maybe better someone with Ubuntu experience should
answer and point you to the right way.