[Geany] UI rebuild in xfwm, project status in sessions, tag file append, compile error possitioning

Bo Lorentsen bl at xxxxx
Sun Jul 5 10:50:45 UTC 2009

Enrico Tröger wrote:
> please be more descriptive. What parts of the UI are you referring to?

Now I remember why I am no language expert :-)

The entire Geany app. just frezz for a short while (and consumes a lot
of CPU), I assume it is re-render some (editor ?) elements, but I can't
see anything, other than CPU usage. The more files I have open, the
longer the frezz  gets.
> What are virtual windows? I'm also using xfwm4 but never heard of such
> a thing.

Sorry my fault, workspace's it is called :)
> I guess you mean that you want Geany to save its state (window
> position & size, last open project, ...) when you quit your Xfce
> session while Geany is still open?

Yes, I quess this is what I like it to do :-)

But I don't understand why Geany acts different on a manual shutdown and
a session controlled shutdown. Why don't it just save the internal geany
states, anyway ?
> If so, I would also like to have this feature. But as far as I know to
> get this working we need to use libsm (part of Xorg AFAIK) to handle
> session management properly. This would cause another new
> dependency which isn't really nice. So, if this would be added, it
> needs to be fully optional, also because we don't have this on Windows.

I appreciate that priority !, and I too would like this option to work
without being aware of a session manager.

Could geany save its states on a more regular basis (only when needed of
cause), like on the save-all function, this would eliminate the "need of
restart" problem ?
> Maybe it could be even done as a plugin, that would be cool.

That all depend on the plugin interface, I quess :-)
> No idea what you mean, sorry.

Hmm, when I like to make a custom tag file (for the XFC project) for
Geany, I can ask geany to make this kind of file using the
"--generate-tags" option.

But this make a brand new tag file each time.

I like to be able to call "geany --generate-tags" several times, while
tag are inserted into an existing tag file, and not just creating a new
file each time. Is this possible ?
> Again, be more descriptive please. What does "error file location in
> complex file structures" mean?

Ok ...

I have a large project (again, XFC actually), that uses automake, and a
lot or directories.

I have made a project where the base path, is the main project path
(lets say ~/svn/XFC).

When I build this project, and get an error down in, lets say
~/svn/XFC/example/ui/printing/printing.cc, it will not position the
editor and find the error. It is to be found in the compiler output, but
Geany simply ignore the error.

When I do this in a project with not that deep dir structure, it works
as expected.

Hope these explanations are more clear.

Regards

/BL