[Geany] Feature request: combo box with classes/methods

Filip Gruszczyński gruszczy at xxxxx
Thu Feb 19 16:52:15 UTC 2009

I think there is a slight confusion. I am not talking about
completion, but about jumping to the right place in file. This is why
basically only classes and methods/functions would be necessary. Right
now I have to use hierarchy tree on the left, but I have small screen
and I always hide this tree. Toolbar is small and useful for jumping.
This is how this combo is used in 2005. I am not talking about
completions. Completions are cool and I use them a lot, but that's
completely different thing. When I have large source file, I would
like to be able to jump to the part I want to change quickly and not
search for it in code or in tree.

> This is difficult because the types to display you want to configure
> are highly filetype dependent. So you would have to configure the
> displayed types for each filetype.

> As Dominic mentioned, wouldn't the symbol auto completion be very
> similar to what you request? It shows up whenever you start typing a
> known symbol (class, method name or whatever) and provide a list of
> known symbols for completion. This list appears by default after the
> fourth entered character of a known symbol but you can of course change
> the amount of characters needed to trigger the list. Additionally, you
> can trigger the list with the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Space.
>

>>I have no idea, where else it could be put. Toolbar seems a natural
>>place.
>
> I don't think (anymore) that the toolbar is the best place for such a
> thing. Maybe it would be better in the sidebar, withinin the tab for the
> symbol list and place it ontop of the symbol list.
>

> Regards,
> Enrico
>
> --
> Get my GPG key from http://www.uvena.de/pub.asc