[Geany] Feature request: combo box with classes/methods

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Feb 19 13:59:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 21:16:32 +0100, Filip Gruszczyński
<gruszczy at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Do you mean something like in the attached screenshot?
>> This is from Geany 0.3 where we had a combo box in the toolbar
>> containing all the symbols which are also in the symbol list sidebar
>> are shown.
>> I don't remember the details but it caused to many troubles in the
>> toolbar so we or I removed it.
>> But since the whole corresponding has changed a lot since this time
>> (this was more than 3 years ago, IIRC), maybe it's worth to give it
>> another try. Maybe not in the toolbar but instead somewhere else.
>> Ideas?
>
>Three years ago I was only programming in mcedit ;-)
>
>I don't think all symbols are such a good idea. The best would be, if
>user could define, what he want to have displayed (classes, methods,
>globals, etc.) and display only those elements.

This is difficult because the types to display you want to configure
are highly filetype dependent. So you would have to configure the
displayed types for each filetype.
As Dominic mentioned, wouldn't the symbol auto completion be very
similar to what you request? It shows up whenever you start typing a
known symbol (class, method name or whatever) and provide a list of
known symbols for completion. This list appears by default after the
fourth entered character of a known symbol but you can of course change
the amount of characters needed to trigger the list. Additionally, you
can trigger the list with the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Space.

>I have no idea, where else it could be put. Toolbar seems a natural
>place.

I don't think (anymore) that the toolbar is the best place for such a
thing. Maybe it would be better in the sidebar, withinin the tab for the
symbol list and place it ontop of the symbol list.