[Geany] Feature request: combo box with classes/methods

Dominic Hopf dmaphy at xxxxx
Wed Feb 18 20:15:32 UTC 2009

Am Mittwoch, den 18.02.2009, 16:47 +0100 schrieb Enrico Tröger:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 22:26:07 +0100, Filip Gruszczyński
> <gruszczy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I would like to propose a feature, which would greatly help me in
> >coding. It's, well, borrowed ;-) from Visual Studio. In VS there is a
> >combo box with all classes and methods, providing items like this:
> >
> >BaseClass
> >BaseClass::BaseClass
> >BaseClass:method1
> >BaseClass::method2
> >DerivedClass
> >DerivedClass::DerivedClass
> >DerivedClass:method1
> >
> >and so on. It's a great help, because it doesn't take much place
> >(contrary to the whole class tree, which geany provides) and allows
> >very quick access to any method. Is there any chance to make class
> >tree exchangable with such a combo?
>
> Do you mean something like in the attached screenshot?
> This is from Geany 0.3 where we had a combo box in the toolbar
> containing all the symbols which are also in the symbol list sidebar
> are shown.
> I don't remember the details but it caused to many troubles in the
> toolbar so we or I removed it.
> But since the whole corresponding has changed a lot since this time
> (this was more than 3 years ago, IIRC), maybe it's worth to give it
> another try. Maybe not in the toolbar but instead somewhere else.
> Ideas?
I think Filip meant something like that on the screenshot, not in
toolbar, but as a popup right beneath the cursor. (trying to remember my
last work with eclipse or visual studio, very long time ago).
Geany already has such feature: When typing two, three or four chars
(configurable via Preferences-Dialog), a popup with existing symbols
appears. What maybe is missing, is the class before a function/method,
as Filip mentioned above.

Regards,
Dominic

--