[Geany] Combined find & replace dialog? - Re: Asking for a new feature

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Aug 20 11:19:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 15:33:52 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> But from my point of view, the find and find in files dialogs don't
> overlap much in their options so a combined dialog would be quite a
> lot bigger & then you have to choose which search you want as well.
> At the moment I often only have to do Ctrl-F return to find in the
> document, or Shift-Ctrl-F return to find where something is used in
> the whole source.
>
> So I for one would vote for keeping them separate and simple, but it
> depends on what other people think.

I too think Find and Find in files are fairly separate things.

But I do think there could be reasons to combine the find and replace
dialogs, as they share many options and when replacing you sometimes
want to find all matches first before replacing them. This would have
some advantages:

1. It would be much easier to perform a replace after using Find All in
Document to see what matches there were. You wouldn't need to copy the
search string across to the replace dialog.
2. You could use the Find Previous button between making replacements.
3. Assuming the Find and Replace dialogs would be used in a given
session, a combined dialog would save some memory.

The replace and 'replace & find' buttons could go in an expander.

What do you think?

Regards,
Nick