[Geany] Combined find & replace dialog? - Re: Asking for a new feature

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Aug 20 12:08:53 UTC 2009

2009/8/20 Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com>:
> On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 15:33:52 +1000
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> But from my point of view, the find and find in files dialogs don't
>> overlap much in their options so a combined dialog would be quite a
>> lot bigger & then you have to choose which search you want as well.
>> At the moment I often only have to do Ctrl-F return to find in the
>> document, or Shift-Ctrl-F return to find where something is used in
>> the whole source.
>>
>> So I for one would vote for keeping them separate and simple, but it
>> depends on what other people think.
>
> I too think Find and Find in files are fairly separate things.
>
> But I do think there could be reasons to combine the find and replace
> dialogs, as they share many options

I'm not sure it would work, they do share a lot, but there is a lot of
unshared functionality.
You have to find sensible homes for:
a.  find all->mark, in session, in document
b. replace all-> in session, in document, in selection, and with a.
and b. it needs to be very clear if you are finding or replacing !!
c. close,  find next, find prev, replace, replace & find buttons
d. search backwards for find only not for replace

 and when replacing you sometimes
> want to find all matches first before replacing them. This would have
> some advantages:
>
> 1. It would be much easier to perform a replace after using Find All in
> Document to see what matches there were. You wouldn't need to copy the
> search string across to the replace dialog.
> 2. You could use the Find Previous button between making replacements.
> 3. Assuming the Find and Replace dialogs would be used in a given
> session, a combined dialog would save some memory.
>
> The replace and 'replace & find' buttons could go in an expander.

Urmmm, now there is another one or two expanders depending on how the
find all and replace all expanders are combined.

> What do you think?

In general the concept is good, but I would like to see and try an
actual combined dialog to be convinced it will work in practice.