[Geany] Asking for a new feature

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Aug 5 17:06:04 UTC 2009

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 00:26:56 +0200, Heiko wrote:

>> > Two images attached.
>> I like the idea with the tabs in one dialog. But I think, the key
>> shortcuts ctrl+f and ctrl+shift+f and so on should be left as they
>> are an just open the dialog with a different tab focused by default.
>> This behaviour should also apply to the Search menu. The menu items
>> should be left as they are and whatever would be clicked, would
>> focus another tab within a find dialog by default.
>
>Ah, this is actually the thing I was proposing, I meant "merging the
>dialogs" (my mistake). The menus are not overfull. Sorry for the
>confusion.
>
>> Result of this thought is: The behaviour of Geany wouldn't change at
>> all, but you could switch between different kinds of search (which
>> currently are Find, Find in files and maybe Replace) in a "general"
>> Find dialog.
>
>This is the same I do in Delphi. I never learnt the shortcut for direct
>"find in files", so I do "ctrl+f" and then change the tab. :-)

IMO, this is harder to use than using the shortcut or the menu item.
Opening the dialog first and then switch the tab just seems suboptimal
to me.
But well, I'm not completely against this request, I just don't see the
benefit.
The only sense I can make of a tabbed dialog is when you use normal
Find and you get no results, so you want to "extend" the search to Find
in Files. But not sure how often this actually happens.