[Geany] Forward and Inverse Search in dvi Files

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Sep 5 20:54:15 UTC 2008

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 22:24:20 +0300, Kybernetiker
<kybernetiker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the prompt response. Under source special I mean that if
> you invoke the latex compiler with the --src-specials option, each
> component of the generated dvi file is tagged with the source
> filename and the line number. This allows editor-to-previewer jumps.
> The forward jump is editor-to-previewer: given the current cursor
> location in the editor, jump to the corresponding paragraph in the
> previewer. The backward jump (inverse search) is symmetrical. This
> convenient feature can be realized in many editors, e.g. Kile,

Ok, I'm sorry, I got you totally wrong.
The editor-to-previewer jump is currently not possible with Geany, but
of course from the previewer back to the editor should work, Geany
accepts line numbers (and columns) for files on the command line.
E.g.
geany --line 32 /path/to/my/file.tex
or
geany /path/to/my/file.tex:32

both should open file.tex and place the cursor on line 32. If the file
was already open, the cursor is just placed on line 32.
Additionally, you can pass the option "--column" on the command line.
See the manual page and/or the manual for details.

As I said above, the editor-to-previewer jump isn't possible with Geany
currently but this is an easy task for a new plugin, IMO. You just need
to find someone who wants to write it :).
Or maybe we could re-use the context action command for this and
provide an additional place holder for the current position (line,
column, absolute position???).