[Geany] split window - Re: Change placement of status/compiler/message/scribble/terminal

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Nov 21 12:51:29 UTC 2008

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 07:31:52 +1100
"Gordon Wrigley" <gordon.wrigley at gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems to me that ultimately this should be part of the split window
> stuff, you allow arbitrary splitting vertically, horizontally and
> nested splitting so you can divide up the screen however you like and
> then you provide the ability to say what sort of window each one is,
> be it edit, side bar or message. That would let you do other useful
> things like having symobls and documents on screen at the same time
> etc.

No, I think sidebar and message window placement is completely
different to what you want for the split window plugin, in terms of
implementation.

BTW, even a simple solution is more complicated because of the issue
that reparenting a Scintilla editor is not really possible in a
portable way ATM (see the october mail about windows problems).

So for now it isn't sensible for anyone to work on ultra-configurable
sub-windows, at least until the Scintilla issue is resolved in some
way (and we agree we want to do it anyway ;-)). That said, simple things
like configuring the message window to be vertical can probably be done
with static containers, i.e. no actual moving of the main notebook
control.

Regards,
Nick